Comment on proposed fee changes
|Review and submit comments on Trademarks' proposed fee changes. Comments are due by September 30, 2019.|
The complete trademark fee chart ("fee schedule") is accessed by clicking on the button immediately below:
Note: Almost all trademark fees for any part of the process are calculated on a "per class basis" for all listed goods and/or services, which will make overall fees higher if goods/services fall in more than one class. Also, fees presented here are based on electronic filing (paper filings, although permitted, have much higher associated fees).
Initial Application Fee for Electronic Filing
|Option 1||Option 2||Option 3|
Note: Each of these 3 options have specific requirements that impact the fee amount. There are many factors for determining the filing fee for an initial application, and you should be familiar with these factors before accessing the new application forms.
Possible Additional Fees
(1) Requesting extension of time to show use of mark (if not part of initial application): $125; and/or
(2) Showing use (if not part of initial application): $100.
Note: A more detailed overview of Trademark fees is also available.
After Mark Registers
(1) Filing Affidavit of Use after 5 Years (§8 affidavit): $125 per class; and
(2) Filing Affidavit of Use and Application for Renewal every 10 years (Combined §§8 and 9 affidavits): $425 per class.
Note: Additional fees will be required if filing within the grace period. A more detailed explanation of maintenance filing requirements is available.
Methods of Payment
TEAS and TEASi have been enhanced to allow for payments via a new online fee payment management tool, Financial Manager. Once you complete your order in TEAS or TEASi, you’ll have the option to “Pay as a guest” or “Sign in” using your uspto.gov account credentials. View an introduction to Financial Manager to help you get started. If you need assistance using Financial Manager, please contact the USPTO help desk at 1-800-786-9199 and selection option 3, then option 4. You may also send an email to FeesHelp@uspto.gov.
Financial Manager offers you three easy to establish, easy to manage methods of online payment:
- Credit Cards accepted are VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, and American Express®. All TEAS forms accept credit card payment.
- USPTO Deposit Accounts are pre-paid fund reserves that customers can establish to pay fees to the USPTO. For more information, please review the Deposit Account Rules and Information page. Instructions on how to replenish deposit accounts are available on the Deposit Account Replenishment Options page.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFTs) make it easy to pay fees to the USPTO directly from your U.S. bank account. For more information, please review the Electronic Funds Transfer page.
Alternative methods of payment:
- Check or Money Orders must be made payable to "Director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office." There is a $50 processing fee for any check returned to the USPTO unpaid.
Credit Cards accepted are VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, and American Express®. To pay by credit card when not using TEAS, you must submit a "Credit Card Payment Form."
We do not accept cash payments.
FOREIGN FUNDS NOT ACCEPTED: All fees must be in U.S. dollars. For additional information on payments, see Fees and Payment FAQs and How to Pay Fees. The USPTO encourages paying fees online using the forms available on the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS).
Refunds Generally Unavailable
Fees paid are generally not refunded by the USPTO. Registration is not automatic and requires legal review by an examining attorney. Please take all necessary steps to ensure your mark is entitled to receive a trademark registration before filing an application. For example, it is important to take steps such as consulting the USPTO Manual of Acceptable Goods and Services (ID Manual) and searching the USPTO database before beginning the application. For more. Information on the USPTO refund policy, see TMEP Section 405.04.
Mailing Address Information
Access information on addressing trademark mail.
For questions concerning fees and payment methods contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199.