In the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS), we have one initial application form with two filing options: TEAS Plus and TEAS Standard.
- The TEAS Plus filing option has more requirements up-front when you submit your initial application. As a result, you pay a lower fee of $225 per class of goods/services.
- The TEAS Standard filing option has fewer requirements up-front. However, you must eventually meet all the application requirements and pay a higher fee of $275 per class of goods/services.
Ready to apply?
If you aren't already signed into MyUSPTO using your USPTO.gov account, you'll be prompted to log in with two-step authentication. Review the Log in to TEAS and TEASi page for more information.
Key differences between TEAS Plus and TEAS Standard
Consider these key differences when selecting your filing option:
- TEAS Plus: Pay $225 per class of goods/services.
- TEAS Standard: Pay $275 per class of goods/services.
When you pay fees
- TEAS Plus: Pay all application filing fees with your initial application.
- TEAS Standard: Pay one application filing fee with your initial application and the rest later in the process.
How you identify goods and services
- TEAS Plus: You must select your goods or services listing from the Trademark Identification (ID) Manual. If the ID Manual doesn't have a listing that accurately reflects your goods and services, you must use TEAS Standard.
- TEAS Standard: You can write the description of your goods and services, but it’s still essential to accurately describe your goods and services.
When you designate a U.S.-licensed attorney (foreign-domiciled applicants only)
- TEAS Plus: A U.S.-licensed attorney must complete and submit your initial application.
- TEAS Standard: You can complete and submit your initial application, but you must designate a U.S.-licensed attorney thereafter.
When you provide additional statements
- TEAS Plus: Provide all required additional statements in your initial application.
- TEAS Standard: Provide required additional statements after you submit your initial application.
You must provide additional statements if any of the following apply to your application:
- The same mark has already been registered with the USPTO by you, but the owner name in the prior registration is not the same as in the new application.
- The mark includes color.
- The mark includes a design or stylized font.
- The mark includes non-English words.
- The mark includes non-Latin characters.
- The mark includes the name or portrait of a living person.
- The mark is currently in use and the applicant needs to limit use to a specific geographic area and identify the other concurrent users.
Review the Additional statements required for TEAS Plus for more information about these statements.
Detailed information about TEAS Plus and TEAS Standard
You can find more detailed information about each filing option, including links to the TMEP with the definitive list of application filing requirements for each filing option, on the TEAS Plus and TEAS Standard pages.
Other application forms
If you don't see the application form you are looking for, review our other initial application forms.