Online forms will comply with new fee rule changes and the current edition of the Nice Agreement
On Friday, January 1, 2021, the ID manual will be updated to comply with the Nice Agreement Eleventh Edition. Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) will be unavailable on Friday from midnight until 12:15 a.m. ET.
On Saturday, January 2, 2021, TEAS and TEAS international (TEASi) will be unavailable from midnight until 10 a.m. ET for system enhancements related to the fee rule changes.
What you should do
- File saved and e-signature initial application forms by 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 31. Identifications of goods and services may be outdated on January 1.
- File all other saved and e-signature forms by 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, January 1.
Trademark Fee Adjustments
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is setting and adjusting Trademark and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) fees for the first time in nearly three years through its Final Rule, effective January 2, 2021. This represents the end of a multi-year review and adjustment process.
The online forms will be updated to comply with the rule changes and incorporate enhancements based on stakeholder suggestions.
Learn more about this change to federal trademark law and how it affects you.
For questions about this TEAS and TEASi release, email TEAS@uspto.gov.
All TEAS and TEASi forms
Updated to charge adjusted fees based on the final rule.
Owner email masking
Owner email was previously masked in the Change Address or Representation form and is now masked in all remaining TEAS forms. The owner email address currently of record, if any, is masked in the display on the Mark Information page and on the Owner Information page. It is also masked in the input table and textform on the Validation page.
Specimen URL and Date of Access Fields
Updated to include dedicated fields where you can provide the URL and date a website was accessed in connection with an uploaded specimen of use.
Attorney Bar Membership Number
The bar membership data entry field has been updated to explain what data to enter in the field.
Domicile Address Field
Owner domicile address field was previously accessible only in the Change Address or Representation form. Domicile address field will now be available in all Registration Maintenance/Renewal Forms and the following additional forms:
- Response to Office Action Form
- Request for Reconsideration after Final Office Action Form
- Response to Suspension Inquiry or Letter of Suspension
- Response to Intent-to-Use (ITU) Office action
- Response to Petition to Revive Deficiency Letter
- Response to Petition to Director Inquiry Letter
- Petition to Revive Abandoned Application - Failure to Respond Timely to Office Action
- Statement of Use/Amendment to Allege Use for Intent-to-Use Application
- Request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use
- Petition to Director
Capture Signature Method
The input table and text form on the Validation page are enhanced to capture whether you sign directly, send the form to a second party for signature, or use a handwritten signature for the declaration and submission signature(s).
Thirty Minute Timeout Warning Message
The warning message stating that the TEAS forms will timeout after 30 minutes has been revised to note that this is in accordance with National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) cybersecurity guidelines.
Letter of Protest
Updated to add a fee payment page requiring a $50 per application fee before submitting the form.
Voluntary Amendment and Registration Maintenance/Renewal Forms
Updated to require an additional fee of $250 for each class in which goods or services are deleted when you file the form after submission and before acceptance of a Declaration of Use and Excusable Nonuse under Trademark Act Sections 8 or 71. Fee is automatically calculated by the form.
Section 7 Request for Amendment or Correction of Registration Certificate
Enhanced to display the wizard questions after you enter the registration number. Updated to require an additional fee of $250 for each class in which goods or services are deleted when you file after submission and before acceptance of a Declaration of Use and Excusable Nonuse under Trademark Act Sections 8 or 71. Fee is automatically calculated by the form.
Response to Post-Registration Office Action Form
Updated to require an additional fee of $250 for each class in which goods or services are deleted when you file after submission and before acceptance of a Declaration of Use and Excusable Nonuse under Trademark Act Sections 8 or 71. Fee is automatically calculated by the form.
Updated to correctly calculate the grace period and response time for filing the form. Enhanced the usability of the identification of goods/services editing tool to ensure that it functions across multiple browser types.
Updated to correctly calculate the grace period for responding to an office action based on a Section 8 declaration or combined Section 8 filing.
Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser type for this form. If you use Internet Explorer, the form will not function as expected and you may experience filing errors. Use an alternative browser such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari when using the Response to Post-Registration Office Action Form.
Change Address or Representation Form
Enhanced to prevent users from updating the attorney information currently of record and simultaneously replacing the same attorney.
Updated to prevent users from filing the form when there is an active TTAB proceeding.
Form instructions have been updated to provide more guidance and clarification on form functionality.
Previous form updates
- TEAS 7.5 and TEASi 4.4 release highlights (August 29, 2020)
- TEAS 7.4 and TEASi 4.3 release highlights (July 11, 2020)
- TEAS 7.1 and TEASi 4.1 release highlights (February 15, 2020)
- TEAS 7.0 and TEASi 4.0 release highlights (October 26, 2019)
- TEAS 6.1 and TEASi 3.1 release highlights (August 3, 2019)
- TEAS 6.0 and TEASi 3.0 release highlights (December 15, 2018)
- TEAS 5.12 and TEASi 2.10 release highlights (May 5, 2018)
- TEAS 5.8 and TEASi 2.7 release highlights (January 4, 2017)
- TEAS Reformatted Declarations Effective January 14, 2017 (January 3, 2017)